1 2nd Quarter 2018. Just a Fit . by David C. Allen There is nothing much more annoying than wearing clothes that just don't fit right. Springfield's remedy for this situation from the early to the mid 1900's was Sam Brown and his Tailor Shop. Sam Brown was born June 10, 1889 to parents Jordan Stokes Brown and Josephine Woodard Brown and grew up on Cheatham Street in Springfield. It was the first house on the left, north of the railroad. The family had made much money in the whiskey and banking industry and were considered wealthy. Sam completed two years of collage. Sam married Ruth Moore in Davidson Co. on July 2, 1913. Her parents were Benjamin and Nan- nie Moore.
2 Ben was a tobacco warehouse salesman in Springfield. In 1915, Sam Brown and Dugan Porter opened the Toggery clothing store on the south side of the Square next to the building cornering on Robert Samuel Main Street. In 1918, Mr. Porter joined the Brown Sr. army and Sam became the sole owner and in that same year the business was moved to the east side of the Square, south of the alley. Sam sold the business in August 1921 and the following month, divorced Ruth. He also asked for and received custody of the children, Sam Jr., age 5 and Nancy Louise, age 3. Divorce was a topic rarely spoken of in those days. Robert Samuel Brown married Mable Rose Binkley, September 27, 1924 in Williamson County.
3 Her parents were George H. and Rose C. Binkley of Springfield Sam and Mabel had a daughter named Peggy. The 1930 census report shows the family living on Cheatham Street and Sam is the proprietor of a business called Gents Furnishings . Jordan Stokes Brown family Page 1. According to Sam's youngest daughter, Peggy Hadley, many people of Springfield will remember Sam, in his later years, as the go to man, if you wanted a custom tailored suit. He used the process called made to measure where a customer comes in, selects a fabric from the collection of swatches, is custom measured to their specifications and the order was sent off to Cincinnati or some other large town to be sewn and shipped back.
4 Sam was a master of the process. Although a bit unusual in those days of segregation, Sam Brown Tailor Shop was a truly intergraded business, catering to both white and African American cliental. The black men of Springfield liked the special cut to their suits Sam could give them, that they couldn't buy off the rack in stores. The Stokes Brown family owned both the building on the Square where 6th Ave. meets Main Street, known as the Ryan Building and the building behind it on Main Street with the word BANK . displayed on the cornice. Kay Gaston, Sam's niece, remembers his shop being in the Ryan building for a few years in the mid 1940's. One day her brother, who was about three at the time, slipped out of the house and was no- where to be found.
5 They searched and searched only to find the little fellow had walked downtown to see uncle Sam. He was found sitting on Sam's knee eat- ing an apple. For most of it's days, the Brown Tailor Shop was located in the BANK . building on Main Street. Sam's daugh- ter, Peggy, remembers the family moving about a half dozen times before she reached the age of 12. After that, the family settled down in the house at 317. Walnut Street. She recalls her father loving sports of all kinds, especially baseball and horse racing and on a spe- cial occasion of celebration he might 609 South Main Street order a whiskey sour. Sam did not es- Springfield pecially like to drive.
6 If the family went on a trip, his wife Mable usually drove. She would run his errands to the Post Office and other places in the car and would pick Sam up daily for lunch, stopping and sitting there in traffic as long as it took for Sam to come out. Everyone else would have to go around or wait. Sam Brown died on April 22, 1966 and Springfield had lost it's finest tailor. Page 2. Summer Current Exhibit Picnic I Have a Bell School Voice . In Adams The history of African American Music Sept. 6 in the State of Tennessee showing now through 6 PM July 10. Boys of Summer SPIRITS OF. Showing now with new Summer exhibits coming soon! CHRISTMAS. PAST.
7 Thanks To Charlotte Reedy and A special exhibit all the many volunteers highlighting, during the 4th grade tours! the whiskey collection of MEMORIAL GIFTS Bo Adams In honor of Harmon Jones September-December Jeanette Holman Page 3. The Museum, which is located in the Old Post Office Build- ing at 124 6th Avenue, is open to the public as follows: Wednesday - Friday 10:00am - 4:00pm Saturday By appointment For further information or membership forms please call the museum at (615)382-7173 or visit our website at: JULY 30. 2018-NOON MEETING. SEPTEMBER 6, 2018-6PM PICNIC AT ADAMS/BELL SCHOOL. Robertson County Historical Society Box 1022. Springfield, TN 37172.